"Living a truly ethical life, putting the needs of others first, and providing for their happiness has tremendous implications for society." -Dalai Lama

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us." -Sargent Shriver

Monday, September 13, 2010

Packing List

So packing 2 years worth of stuff into 2 checked bags and 1 carry-on has proved difficult.  Combined, the dimensions of my checked luggage cannot exceed 107"or more than 80 pounds.  I have combed over numerous blogs with packing lists from previous PC volunteers hoping to pick up tips on what to take and what not to take.  Although this proved to be tremendously helpful, this was still probably the most frustrated experience ever, considering I hate packing under normal circumstances.  What all I have packed is as follows:

What I need to fit into my bags


Clothing
3 skirts (mid-calf length)
3 pairs light-weight pants
3 nice shirts (to teach in)
1 pair nice shoes (to teach in)
Jogging pants (not tight)
1 Modest swimsuit
1 pair jeans
1 Hoodie/jacket, for cold season
Rain Jacket
1 pair sturdy sandals (reefs)
1 pair chacos
3 Regular bras
4 Sports Bras
25 pairs underwear
2 Slips
1 Pair leggings (to wear under kangas)

Electronics
Camera gear
2 head lamps
Calculator
Travel clock
Travel speakers for ipod
Ipod (with otterbox case)
Solio solar charger with adapter tips
Flip camcorder
Kindle (with preloaded books)
External Hard drive
Rechargeable batteries and charger

Kitchen and House Supplies
Cutting board
3 paring knifes (giving one as present to host mom)
Measuring cups
Measuring spoons
Spices
Leatherman knife
Toiletries (solid shampoo, razors, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, facewash)
Small sewing kit
Dramadine (I get car sick)
Hair-cutting scissors
2 pairs glasses
Sunglasses
3 months worth of prescriptions
2 Pack towels

Other Supplies
Camping Gear
Soccer Ball (deflated)
Small Water filter for hiking
Large USA wall map
Large World wall map
Bannanagrams
Deck of cards/Uno
Travel Apples to Apples game
Bible
3 Moleskin journals
Binoculars
Pocket Dictionary
Knitting needles
Passport and money belt
National Audobon Society Field Guide to African Wildlife
Travel Map for Tanzania
Guide for Birds of East Africa
Lonely Planet guide for Tanzania
Swahili translation dictionary
Hammock
Picture Album, with pictures from home
Command sticky hooks (for my house)
Office supplies (stapler, tape, scissors, pens, pencils)
Peace corps paperwork
Copies of passport, credit card, etc. (also left a copy with my Mom)
Extra passport photos

Gifts for Host Family
Hard Candy for children
Post Cards
Calendar
Paring knife for Host mom

After Packing

5 comments:

  1. Katie--

    This is Lydia, Darren's friend. This is one of the things I am most worried about with PC! Loved how you outlined everything you're taking though! Very, very insightful!

    Can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite item on this list: "25 pairs of underwear"....
    When I read it I sat and thought, how many pairs of underwear do I own...and how many would I need to make it two years....
    I thought about it for a long time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an RPCV from Mali. I am trying to reach out to local agricultural NGOs for a small grant program that we are developing at Horticulture CRSP. Could you please email me if you know any local Ag. NGOs in Tanzania, or if you have the contact information of other volunteers who would know of Ag. NGOs?

    I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

    Thank you,

    Peter Shapland
    pcshapland@ucdavis.edu
    Graduate Assistant
    Horticulture CRSP
    www.hortcrsp.ucdavis.edu

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you brought your hair cutting scissors but who's supposed to cut my hair now. This is the firstday I've gotten a chance to read cause our internet has been our for like 3 weeks! Love hearing about everything and hope it's going well. Email me anytime!! robin.brockus@gmail.com. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hair cutting shears are Hairdressing Scissors that are specifically designed for cutting hair. They are also known as barber shears hairdressing shears or hair shears

    ReplyDelete