"Living a truly ethical life, putting the needs of others first, and providing for their happiness has tremendous implications for society." -Dalai Lama

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us." -Sargent Shriver

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Where in the World?

After 16 months of waiting, I finally found out my home for the next 27 months.  TANZANIA!!  I could not be happier about my assignment.  I will be a Secondary Education Biology teacher in Tanzania, Africa.  I could not believe it when I received my invite from the Peace Corps and didn't even tell anybody for about the first hour or so that I had it.  It was so unbelievable that I had that blue envelope in my hand after waiting for so long.  The timeline of my application process is below.

Applied April 2009--->Interview/Nomination Aug. 26, 2009--->Send in Medical Review Jan. 2010---->Dental approval Feb. 2010--->Medical Approval April or May 2010--->Receive PC Invite Aug. 11, 2010

This process is in no way easy.  The entire time you are unsure of what is going on and feel completely helpless.  I think this has maybe given me an idea of what I might feel like over the next 27 months.  But finally, I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer.  After I received my Invite, I had to read over all the information they sent me, telling me all about my country assignment and job.  I then had to contact the Peace Corps office to officially accept my invitation.  You actually have 10 days, but after 16 months of waiting I was sure I wanted to accept within 16 seconds of opening that packet.  Then the never ending paperwork began.  My immediate attention was on getting my new government passport and visa.  I got to deal with a very confused, not so nice lady at the post office, but finally got all my passport paper work approved.  Then I got walked through the Visa application by a laughing Tanzanian on the phone who found my questions extremely entertaining.  At least I brought a little humor to some one's life.  

The name of this blog, "Tumaini" means "hope" in Kiswahili (which is the language I will be learning!).   I feel that will be my theme for this journey.  I want to bring hope to the Tanzanians I work with and my fellow Peace Corps volunteers, and also try to remain hopeful throughout my journey no matter the obstacles I encounter.  Wish me luck on this!! 

I should be getting more information in a couple weeks letting me know my address in Tanzania.  I will definitely put that up as soon as I get it!  Also, feel free to follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or email me!!

Maisha merefu! Afya! Vifijo!
(Good Health!)

Katie

1 comment:

  1. So proud of and excited for u! I have no doubt that u will bring tumaini to the people u encounter!! Love u!!

    ReplyDelete