"Living a truly ethical life, putting the needs of others first, and providing for their happiness has tremendous implications for society." -Dalai Lama

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us." -Sargent Shriver

Monday, February 3, 2014

"The physician is the natural attorney of the poor." -Rudolf Virchow

If you have been reading this blog, you know a little about me, but let me recap.  From 2010 to 2012 I had the incredible opportunity to serve in Peace Corps Tanzania.  In December 2012, I returned to the states and started at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine in the fall of 2013.  Last semester, I joined a group called the Student Global Health Alliance and was approached about leading a trip to Northern Uganda to work in medical clinics specifically catering to victims of the LRA's war. We have an incredible partnership with Saint Monica's, a girls' tailoring school, their leader, Sister Rosemary, and Pros For Africa. This is our 3rd year to visit Saint Monica's, allowing us to build a sustainable program that is best able to target the real needs of the local population.  We are really beginning to get our fundraising efforts going this semester. This year, we are trying to raise money for a medical lab at Saint Monica's, a medical scholarship for a local student, and in-country expenses for the participating students.   For 3 weeks, we will go into clinics scattered across Northern Uganda and learn all we can about the disparities in medicine and how to work with limited resources.  I have attached a newsletter that is able to explain more of our mission.  I am also including a link to learn more about Sister Rosemary, an incredible woman who provides hope for progress in Uganda.  At the very least, I hope you are inspired by her bravery and progressiveness.  You can also check out her book "Sewing Hope" which tells her incredible story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j3kLa4k9l0


If you think you are able to give anything, however little, please visit our website.  Or even if you would just like to learn more, take a look!


http://studentglobalhealthalliance.wordpress.com/



Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, I’m the creator of the brand new website Peace Corps Story, a website that collects all of the PC blogs in one place. Pretty much replacing the no longer running Peace Corps Journals. I ran into your blog and was wondering if it is okay to link up to it? If you could include a picture, your sector and a one sentence summary about yourself and the blog that would be great, Thank you!

    Please email this information to admin [at] peacecorpsstory.com [dot] com

    Eugene

    PeaceCorpsStory.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    Sorry to bother you.  My name is Ray Blakney and I am an RPCV from Mexico (2006-2008). I hope you've adjusted well to RPCV life. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost.  I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run Live Lingua with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's).  I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios, and even some videos. 
     
    The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the word out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use.  I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site here, so that people know it is there.  There should be something there for almost everybody.  It is all 100% free to use and share.  Here is the specific page to what we call the Live Lingua Project:


    http://www.livelingua.com/project/

    Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success.   And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email.  Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete