"Living a truly ethical life, putting the needs of others first, and providing for their happiness has tremendous implications for society." -Dalai Lama

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us." -Sargent Shriver

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

As we go on...We Remember...

First of all, I want to add some pictures of Claire's very successful HIV/AIDs Education/Soccer camp.  I went to Claire's ville last week to help out with this 3-day camp.  The mornings were about 4 hours of HIV Education and Life Skills.  Then in the afternoons, we played around 3 or 4 hours of soccer.  The entire thing was exhausting, but extremely fun.  I also think that the kids took a lot away from it.  I am so glad that I went to help because after seeing the programing and structure, I think I'll conduct this camp at my school.











So there comes a time in every volunteers service that their time here is drawing to an end.  For our 2009 Health and Environment class, that time has come.  Last weekend, we decided to have one last hoorah for our friends.  On Friday, we all made to trip to Mtwara town on the coast.  The beach house had been reserved so we spent a good weekend with friends, internet, and good food with a beach front view.  Not a bad way to go if you ask me.  We shopped, ate at the fish market, swam and celebrated the friendships that we've made in  such a short time.  I know that sounds really corny, but its amazing how quickly good friendships are formed over here.  In such a high stress, foreign environment, we count on each other for support.  I still talk to my family, but there are so many things that I feel I can't tell them.  They are already under so much stress by my being here, I would never want to aggravate that.  Therefore, you end up talking to other volunteers who understand what you are going through and more often than not have gone through the exact same thing.  It is so sad to see this class go, but we can only hope that they aren't replaced with a bunch of weirdos.  Heres hopin'!
In other news, school officially reopened this last Monday.  Hooray for my second term as a teacher.  Time really flies over here, almost exactly 10 months in fact.  Crazy.  Well sorry this was such a sappy post!  Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment