"Living a truly ethical life, putting the needs of others first, and providing for their happiness has tremendous implications for society." -Dalai Lama

"Peace requires the simple but powerful recognition that what we have in common as human beings is more important and crucial than what divides us." -Sargent Shriver

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

So life around the ville this weekend was pretty awesome! My students are getting pretty ansty in school since we are almost done, and this is making me ansty, so I was especially grateful for the weekend. Thursday night, I met up with some of the local doctors, the bishop to send off the British medical students. Their time down here is done and now they are going up north to travel. Friday, Kathryn came into town a day earlier than usual. This is because another volunteer, Tyler, was coming with his secondary school for a day of competition against my school. This day of competition was cut extremely short when their bus was about 4 hours late. By the time they arrived, there was only time for the boys to play soccer and the girls to play netball. Netball looked a lot like basketball, except you are not allowed to dribble or run once you have the ball. Our girls got creamed. At least it was entertaining, because many of the students and village children that were watching did marching/dances and chants around the field. My favorite was started by a bunch of my girls. It went a little like this, "Sambusas (stomp, stomp) Sambusas (stomp) Sambusas (stomp stomp)" and so on. We were losing, but they still loved their yummy fried food gosh darnit! While we were clobbered in netball, our boys managed to dominate and bring home a win for Newala Secondary in soccer. They rocked it. And after the netball game ended, the girls kindly brought their entertainment over to the soccer field and were chanting and marching the rest of the game.
Saturday morning, Claire came into town early and we commenced our plans to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Africa. We started the beans and then made rounds around the market for the rest of the food. We even picked up a little something extra when we all bought matching tie-dye moo-moos. Its not as bad as it sounds though, we are having them altered into not matching styles, because that would be totally uncool. Around this time, Ghee rolled into town and our fiesta participants were all gathered. We made beans, queso, fish tacos with tuna bought from a momma off the street, salsa, and chimichangas (which are actually a lot easier to make than I thought they would be). We all gathered around the table with a bottle of my homemade wine and had a legit Mexican feast. The one disappointment was our intended dessert of brownies. I just got a new solar cooker that was supposed to be amazing. Well, apparently I do not know how to use it because after 3'ish hours it remained a gooey mush. So then, we stuck it on the kerosene jiko (which is not the best for baking) and it all burnt.
The feasting did not stop there though. The next morning, was had a good ol' American breakfast. We made syrup, pancakes, coffee, and had juice. Then after breakfast, we had our normal trip to the market. I have been really wanted to show off my posse of little old men though so I actually took pictures. Lucky I had my camera though because my friend Dudu had his brand new baby (2 months old) at his store! One of my favorite old men though that sells degaa wasn't there, but never fear! Picture to come soon! We then went to talk to Mr. Jaffer. His store sells only in bulk so normally he has nothing that interests me. But then I saw he carried toilet paper in bulk!! Holler!! I bought a 40 pack of toilet paper for 12,000 shillings. That means I paid 30 shillingi per roll instead of 300!! I was pleased as punch!! After that, everyone left and I went home to clean my house, nap, and talk to my mom for Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers of the world, but especially my Momma!! You are the best mother I could ever ask for and put up with way more than you should ever have too!! I love you so much! So everyone give their moms an extra big hug. And if you see my Momma, give her a hug for me! Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie - checked in to see how it is all going and you have been busy! And all the books you have read - now, damn, I feel lazy. Anyway, glad it is going so well (any post that starts "I kinda like my life" is a good one). Thanks for the letter (passed it around the family so they could all read it) and looking forward to seeing you in December at Allie's wedding! Off to call my mom....

    ReplyDelete